Gazetteer References & Data Sources
Database Update Cycles
- We receive new Geographic Name Information System (GNIS) database files from the USGS six times per year. The last update was December 1, 2015.
- The ZIP Code database and ZIP Code maps are updated four times per year. The latest data is from February 1, 2016.
- The census demographic information and five-year forecasts are updated annually. The latest data is from July 1, 2015.
- The School Attendance Zone Maps are updated four times per year. The last update was on January 6, 2016.
This site makes extensive use of the geographic feature names and locations as maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in the USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), the official Federal database for domestic geographic feature names data as designated by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
The USGS has a simple procedure for making additions and corrections to the GNIS database.
Guide to State and Local Census Geography was a source document for the basic data, history and much of the geographical areas information found on the home page of this gazetteer.
Census Demographic Data
The census demographic estimates and forecasts are based upon data produced by Esri Demographics. Their estimates and forecasts use the latest US Census Bureau annual American Community Survey (ACS) as a starting point. They then combine additional data from multiple sources including residential postal deliverly counts from the USPS, a time series of county-to-county migration patterns from the IRS, building permits, housing starts and local data sources that tested well against Census 2010. For more detailed information: Methodology Statement: 2015/2020 Esri US Demographic Updates.
- The base interactive maps and aerial photos are produced by the Google Maps API.
- The City and County Boundary Maps are derived from data produced by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- The ZIP Code Maps and School Boundary Maps are based on data provided by Maponics.
- The Congressional District Maps are based on data provided by the U.S. Census Bureau
Photos, Directory & Jobs
- The Local Area Photos are provided by Panoramio.
- The Local Directories of Business Government and Social Services are powered by Google.
- The Local Job Listings are provided by CareerBuilder.