Howard County MD Information
Howard County MD Data & Demographics (As of July 1, 2020)
|Total Population ||330,292 (100%) |
|Population in Households ||328,606 (99.5%) |
|Population in Families ||280,427 (84.9%) |
|Population in Group Quarters1 ||1,686 ( 0.5%) |
|Population Density ||1,317 |
|Diversity Index2 ||69 |
|Median Household Income ||$118,638 |
|Average Household Income ||$162,545 |
|% of Income for Mortgage4 || 16% |
|Per Capita Income ||$58,765 |
|Wealth Index5 ||222 |
|Total HU (Housing Units) ||124,160 (100%) |
|Owner Occupied HU ||86,552 (69.7%) |
|Renter Occupied HU ||32,841 (26.5%) |
|Vacant Housing Units ||4,767 ( 3.8%) |
|Median Home Value ||$460,275 |
|Average Home Value ||$508,298 |
|Housing Affordability Index3 ||133 |
|Total Households ||119,393 |
|Average Household Size ||2.75 |
|Family Households ||85,993 |
|Average Family Size ||3 |
GROWTH RATE / YEAR
|2010-2020 ||2020-2025 |
|Population ||1.38% ||1.3% |
|Households ||1.28% ||1.24% |
|Families ||1.17% ||1.16% |
|Median Household Income || ||1.39% |
|Per Capita Income || ||1.63% |
|Owner Occupied HU || ||1.26% |
Howard County MD - Peer Comparisons by Rank and Percentile
The table below compares Howard County to the other 24 counties / independent cities and county equivalents in Maryland by rank and percentile using July 1, 2020 data. The location Ranked # 1 has the highest value. A location that ranks higher than 75% of its peers would be in the 75th percentile of the peer group.
|Variable Description ||Rank ||Percentile |
|Total Population ||# 6 ||79th |
|Population Density ||# 6 ||79th |
|Median Household Income ||# 1 ||100th |
|Housing Affordability Index ||# 5 ||21st |
|Per Capita Income ||# 1 ||100th |
|Diversity Index ||# 3 ||92nd |
Additional comparisons and rankings can be made with a VERY EASY TO USE Maryland Census Data Comparison Tool.
Quick & Easy Ways to...
- Get Current Demographic Data for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- View Boundary Maps, for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- Locate Physical, Cultural, and Historical Features
Maryland Census Data Comparison Tool
More Tools and Resources:
- For information about schools and school attendance zones, use the HTL Address Tool
- Our new HTL Neighborhood Explorer provides lots of detail about any neighborhood.
- The new 2-Minute Introduction and Concise Guide to Big Data which will help you make the most effective use of HomeTownLocator Tools.
- See the References & Data Sources page for more information about methodology and sources of data.
- See the Maryland COVID-19 Data and US COVID-19 Data for more information on the spread of the novel coronavirus.